Search Engine Optimization (SEO) as been a major focus for marketers over recent years. Implementing the tactics to get on the front page of Google for keywords has been key. But with all the changes to Google’s algorithm, and the increase in social media – how important is SEO for marketing success today?
Showing up in search results for your keywords is just as important today, as it always has been. What has changed is Google’s ability to reward valuable sites and penalize the sites using ‘black hat’ tactics trying to scam or pay their way to the top of searches, with schemes like “link farms”. Thankfully those days are over!
SEO today is about the user experience – your prospects, leads and customers. Here are a few simple tips to remember:
1. Write content for your audience, not the search engines.
2. Use keywords your audience uses.
3. Publish content your audience will want to share.
4. Publish content on your website regularly – weekly at a minimum.
5. Make it easy for your audience to share content with their network.
Over the years I've written several articles on SEO, the most recent covering the latest updates from Google. To make it easy for you I've compiled a list of my top 5 articles - see list below.
Do you have any questions about SEO and how it can help your marketing? If so please use the comment section below.